Saturday, May 07, 2011

Stephan Campos

Today the College lost a son: Student Stephan Campos was found with the wreckage of a small plane that crashed while on a mission for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. He and three other U.N. officials were working on Proyecto F-57, a project to assesses the environmental impact of coca production in Bolivia. The plane was found in the jungle about 60 miles from Carmen Pampa, after two days of searching.

Stephan was completing his research project for graduation while working for the United Nations. We talked last August when he visited the College to turn in a copy of his graduation project, a soil use classification map for our local municipality. He said that he was proud to be able to contribute to the 2009 Bolivia Coca Monitoring Report (pdf) as a mapping expert (see his photo on p. 63), increasing the knowledge of how coca -- both a sacred, ceremonial crop for the Aymara and Quechua people, and the plant used to make cocaine -- is impacting the environment.





I had Stephan in my Tropical Ecology and my Research Proposal Writing classes. He was a very intelligent and friendly young man, with a lot of good ideas about how to improve the College. He is survived by his wife Pamela (an education student) and two daughters. Stephan, his wife, his youngest daughter and some friends are pictured here, in a photo I took last August in Coroico of students selling sausages produced at the College.




We mourn his loss, and asks for all of you who support of the College to keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Les enviamos nuestro profundo pésame, y rogamos a Dios por él para que le dé paz y serenidad.

Katharine Málaga y Ross Starkson

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Hugh. My thoughts are with you and the students at the UAC-CP tonight.

humbertosainz said...

Nadie nos deja si su recuerdo vive en nuestros corazones...

Anonymous said...

Oh Dios mio! I'm shocked. We haven't met, Hugh, but my name is Anne and I was volunteer there in 2004. Stephan was a close friend of mine. I liked him very much. I can't believe this happened. I feel so horrible for his wife and child. Please let me know if there is any way to donate or help those two in any way. They will be in my prayers.

thank you, Hugo.
Anne