Monday, November 10, 2008

A little bit proud

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in West Africa, and when I returned to the U.S., I was convinced that I would return to Africa and work there. When Dr. Doug Malo at South Dakota State University said to me, "Hugh, when you finish your studies, we could really use your help in Bolivia," I thought, Why not? I can always go back to Africa next year...

The rest is history, as they say. I fell in love with this place full of young people with dreams way beyond their possibilities, and somehow they reach them -- being a part of that process is an incredible honor. I hope that people who contribute feel that way, too.

My work is different here than it was in my village in Benin. In Africa, I was one man working alongside farmers in a tiny village. Here, I am part of a team, and all of my efforts and multiplied by the efforts of everyone around me. With the support of very few "people on the ground," our students graduate, ready to take on the world.

Though I was promoted recently, I am still involved in the college's Research Institute, our Instituto de Investigación. At a meeting last week, we took a group picture, and every time I look at it, I feel so proud to be part of this. Everyone on our team works really hard, taking on much more than their job descriptions would let on, and working more hours than most jobs would require. Here is the picture:


Photo: (front, L to R) Daniel Choquetarqui, head of labs on Campus Leahy; Daniela Chambilla, head of labs on Campus Manning; Cristina Yujra, library manager on Campus Manning; Olga Jemio, head of libraries; (back) Manuel Loza, research collaborator; Hugh Smeltekop, director of the Research Institute; Rúben Darío Gómez, acting director of the Research Institute

No comments: